They don't look much alike, but that is not (entirely) the painter's fault!
Acrylics, on canvas, approx. 45 x 62 cm
Here's another "repeat" where I wasn't happy with the first painting, and tried again. I can see how this would become an infinity loop, but one has to stop somewhere. This is again a colleague who subjected to portrait painting.
Acrylics on cotton, approx. 46 x 60 cm
UPDATE: I put transparent coat on the painting, as is my habit, and it 'crackled' producing an effect on the painted surface that would be interesting in some contexts, but here, it ruined the picture. So, it doesn't exist anymore. No great loss, I admit.
Last night I ran out of things to do, and whipped up a self-portrait, until it was too dark to continue. Finished it this afternoon, after a trip to Krems, to see an exhibit of Picabia. (Didn't like it all that much.)
The photograph exaggerates the contrasts of the painting a bit, the dark shadows come out too dark and disruptive. I can't be bothered to fix it -assuming I know how.
Anyhow, this is acrylics on canvas, once again, approx. 40 x 40 cm
Never happy with my painting of my colleague Jose posted earlier I wanted to 'touch it up', with the result that I repainted it. Once I started fiddling with the 'aquarelle-esque' paint, with overpainting, there was no turning back...
Still not quite there, but I had to stop at some point.
Acrylics on home-stretched canvas, approx. 61 x 61 cm.
This is my colleague Martin, who graciously offered to be a model. Here, I'm trying to mimic classical oil painting methods, with acrylics, and this involves a whole lot of nifty work with the water spray, but may eventually be a useful method for painting.
Acrylics, approx. 46 x 61 cm.
Below is an early version, after fixing the pencil drawing, and laying in the underpainting with some mystery dark color.
This is a dear colleague who started working at the Org. the same day as I did, back in 2000.
Not one of my best efforts, unfortunately, much as I would like to do this one well. It seemed that any stroke I added just made the picture worse, so it was best to stop.
A 'work-in-progress' photo of this painting, showing my primitive work methods.
Finally, here's another one of the same subject, which I did for my own entertainment. This might be her reaction, seeing the first painting...
Both paintings in acrylic, 50 x 60 cm on cotton canvas
This is nearly finished, I'm not quite happy with this as is, but nearly. Below, I also put a photo of the earlier stages, fur fun.
(This is the second attempt; the first one is underneath, painted over. Some day, someone will uncover it using Xray technology..)
And this is the draft (if it isn't clear from the painting itself)
This is a picture of my friend & colleague Jose; it is painted on a piece of fabric I stretched myself onto a 60 x 60 cm frame, and coated with animal skin glue. The color of the original fabric shows through -on purpose, of course- but maybe it would have looked better if it had been primed with gesso.
I realize while posting that the photo is pretty bad; it is blurred and the final glossy coat reflects the light from the window. :-(
In any case, acrylics, 60 x0 60 cm
(No, it ain't Springssten)
This is a portrait of Mr Tóth, our boss, the second attempt. I thought his rather angular face might make for a good subject for a painting like those of Bogdan Pascu, or even a Freud, but I botched that one. Painted over everything with white, and tried another approach: the minimal, aquarelle-style.
Acrylics on canvas, 60 x 80 cm