Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Poet

In October 2002, Seamus Heaney visited MIT and did a reading of his poetry.
(See http://mitworld.mit.edu/video/115 , unless you are using an iPad, in which case it won't work, of course, thanks to Apple's unforgivable contempt for its customers and their wishes.)

In any case, while I watched some of his reading, and did this quick sketch of him, with pastels on dark-blue background.



I've learned that (1) one can't use fixative on pastels and expect the colors to remain vibrant; and (2) it is hard to convey the colors via a digital flash photo, as the photographing somehow only reflects the brighter colors, and loses the darker ones. -or at least I don't know how to do it.

The size of this picture is approx. 25 x 35 cm, (japanese "B4" size).

1 comment:

TAP said...

I also noticed that the yellows are always stronger when pastels are scanned or shot with flash. I once completely ruined a portrait I had spent many hours on by using fixative - had to redo it in half an hour but it was not the same. It was a hard lesson. But pastels are great and this picture I like alot!